Buddhism is a concept of the religion founded by Gautam Buddha. It is not only a religious belief but also a spiritual practice and spiritual tradition. 7 percent of the people of the world are Buddhist. Buddha was born in Lumbini, Nepal, 563 BC. He got enlightened and started to spread the message of peace to the most of the Asian countries so he is called as the ambassador of peace of Asia.
The main philosophy of Buddhism can be categorized into three parts. They are four noble truths, eightfold paths, and Pancasila. The Buddhist philosophy is written in three Tripitakas. Three Tripitakas are:
- Binaya Pitak: This is the scripture of Buddhism which includes the rules for the monks and nuns.
- Shukti Pitak: This part of Tripitaka has the sermons of the Buddha.
- Abhidhamma Pitak: This is the book of the collection of the philosophies of Buddhism.
Here are the four noble truths of Buddha:
- There is suffering in life
- There is the reason for suffering
- There is the way to be free from the suffering
- The way of being free from suffering is eightfold paths
- There is suffering in life: Suffering is the part of our life which is inseparable for everyone who is born in this world. We are born here with the suffering. We have to be in suffering in our life until and unless we don’t get enlightened. Buddha focused on the fact that life can’t be imagined without suffering. Suffering is as true as our life is. It is said that who is enlightened, he or she should not be born in this world. If we have some Karmic debt, we have to born here in this world.
- There is the reason behind suffering: Buddha’s teaching always clarifies the reason for everything and the solution of every reason. The main cause of the suffering is the desire. How much we get in our life, we want more and more. The chain of gaining will not over. There are unlimited desires in human mind. The human can’t be satisfied with the worldly affairs, world’s achievement. There are limited resources to fulfill our desires but we have unlimited desires so the available resources can’t fulfill our desires. The nature of desire is like a pot where we can’t put anything because it doesn’t have the lower part so from where everything can fall.
- There is the way to be free from the suffering: There is the way to be free from the suffering. Buddha’s teaching is very scientific because he raised the hypothesis that there is suffering in this world and at the end, he gave the exact solution of the hypothesis. Now, we have the hope that we can be free from all the sufferings of the world. It is in our hand to be free from all the sufferings. If we want, we can be free from all the pains and discomforts.
- The way of the freedom of the suffering is eightfold path: If we practice the eightfold path, we can be free and get the liberation from the suffering of the world. They are the real solutions to our life’s suffering. They are the Real Techniques to be totally free from the desires of our life.
Right View: View means the attitude. We have to see anything that that thing is real. In a simple way, we see what we want to see. We don’t have to judge anything by our perspective. We think that death is the end of our life, which is the main cause of the fear in our life. Fear creates suffering. We have to know everything in their real existence.
Right Resolution: This is the second step of the eightfold path. In this step, we take the right resolution of our mental development. We take firm determination to love all the being of the world. We focus on being polite to others and to be sincere when we behave with others.
Right Speech: We have to speak the truth all the time. Speaking truth can lead us to the higher level in the path of liberation. If there is something harmful matter to others, we don’t have to speak. We don’t have to speak the false because false is not the way of liberation. False is not the part of the higher source.
Right Action: We don’t have to perform the action that is not right. We have to analyze whether it is right or not before we do anything. We don’t have to harm to others by our action. We don’t have to suffer others by our action.
Right Livelihood: We have to live with the minimal things that we need to live. We don’t have to collect more than we need. We don’t have to do the profession, which is the harm to others.
Right effort: We have to try to change our habits or we have to try to be better and better. We have to be able to change our overall factors of life from negative to positive. We have to be bold to be better.
Right Mindfulness: We have to try to be aware every moment. We don’t have to lose the awareness because the awareness can lead us to the higher source. We have to be guided by the real knowledge rather than the false knowledge. We have to develop our mind to accept the higher source of knowledge.
Right concentration or Meditation: We have to practice the meditation of four types. To unite our self to the higher source, we have to practice the meditation. In this state, we are free from the ego. We are able to understand the natural state of our life. The flow of life can be seen in this state.
- Not killing
- Not stealing
- To be away from sensual (including sexual) misconduct
- Not lying
- Not to be in the state of intoxication
Five moral virtues are the very important part of the eightfold path. These five virtues are the common people. There are eight or ten virtues for the monks and nuns.
Different branches of Buddhism are as follows:
Mahayana: It believes that the scripture should be changed by the time. It focuses that we all have the possibility to be enlightened in our life.
Theravada: Theravada Buddhism is the branch of traditional Buddhism. It is the oldest form of Buddhism. It believes that the original Buddhism is the pure Buddhism. It focuses on the learning the teachings of Buddha and doing the meditation. It is a very powerful concept that we have to search the wisdom.
Vajrayana: Vajrayana is thebranch of Buddhism which believes in Tantra. Tibetan Buddhism is in this category. We have to start our spiritual practice with a much matured Guru.
Is veganism reasonable? Vegan vs non-vegan Logics on food
Veganism is the practice of abandoning meat, fish, insects and animal products like milk and milk products, eggs, honey etc. including the lifestyle which strictly prohibits the use of any kind of animal products and services that are rooted on the suction of animals. Vegan avoids the products like leather and any tested on animals. The question arises- vegan life is better or non-vegan life is better. There are an unsolvable issue and vast debate on this topic. Vegan people advocates in favor of veganism and non-vegan oppose the veganism concept.
Let us observe the logic of non-vegan people
- Among three types of omega-3: eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), and the plant-based alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), DHA and EPA, two of the essential fatty acids don’t exist in the plant kingdom. EPA is connected with inflammation and DHA is connected to mental health. Meat and fish contain lots of protein, calorie, and fats. So, animal-based food is necessary.
- Vitamin B 12, creatine, extremely absorbed except in animal kingdom.
- All the animals are created for human use and consumption.
- Milk, milk-products etc are universal food. All types of nutrition are available in milk. So it is good for human consumption. Honey is very good for health.
- If milk is a non-edible thing, what is the purpose of keeping the cow at home..! The only calf cannot finish its mother’s milk. Thus, cow breast gets into a problem. So, a human must consume animal’s milk.
- If cow’s milk and milk products were not good for human, why Lord Krishna took lots of butter, milk, curd etc…!
- There is no wrong using animals’ product. Even Lord Shiva’s photo can be seen using tiger’s skin.
- The work of donkey is to carry loads. The horse seems nice when it carries humans. So, service from animals is good.
- When a new type of medicine is discovered, it should first be tested on animals, if it becomes successful then only the medicine will be fit for a human. So, animals need to be used for such purpose and human welfare.
- A vegan diet is proved to be the healthiest of all, reducing the risk of all diseases. Animal-based foods are the main source of all diseases like cancer, heart attack, kidney problem and formation of stone, piles, constipation, diabetes etc.
- Food and Drug Administration recommends protein, Vitamin B12 and creatine 50 gram per day. It is easily available in nuts and legumes. Soya bean gives better protein, calorie, and fats than that of animal products.
- FDA has not a current recommendation of Omega 3 but American Heart Association commends one gram every day. Omega 3 is available in seeds and nuts like chia, flax, dark leafy greens, walnut, hemp seed etc. No matter, only ALA is found in seeds and nut among three types of omega-3; the body itself converts ALA into EPA and DHA as per the body requirements. So, plant-based food is perfect.
- The fatty acids DHA and EPA are found in algae.
- Omega-6 is the available seed of cotton, corn, safflower, sunflower and their oil. Omega-6 is to be consumed in very less amount.
- This is simple to understand. Who wants to be killed? – No one. Who wants to be suffered? –nobody. If so, it is illogical to kill an animal or trouble them.
- The milk of the animal is fittest for its baby. Honey is fit for bees’ baby. The nutrition available in the animal product is not suitable for human health and consciousness. The nutrition pattern achieved from an animal does not suit the human body. It is basically and fundamentally structured for animal only. Consumption of animal products slower the development of human consciousness.
- Animals product can be used but without harming animals. Animals’ skin can be used only after its natural death. Anything obtained after harming other, possess negative vibration which harms the user.
- It is not bad if animals work for humans. But, it is seen that people give lots of trouble during its service. Sometimes, people make an animal to carry very heavy loads; sometimes they ignore about animals’ health and keep get them work. A human can never get their aim unless they stop giving suffering to any creatures.
- Modern medicine has not decreased the number of patients, but increasing day by day. Thus, the medicines (drug mixed) which need to be tested in animals are decreasing the natural immunity of the patient. Only alternative medicines, natural and ayurvedic medicines or holistic medicines are helping for human health. Testing in the animal is to giving misery to them.
- Taking meat, fish, eggs, milk, and other animals product makes the human unhealthy.
- A cow can be kept at home, not for milk but for its blessing. If the cow is happy, a good vibration flows around it. Cow purifies the environment. It exhales oxygen. Cow-dung and urine are very good fertilizers for crops. Human has the wrong concept that cow has excess milk for its baby, so, human should consume it. The reality is that cow was compelled (forcefully) to produce more milk because human steal the milk which was the share of the calf. So, to satisfy both human and calf, the cow does so. If a human does not steal from the beginning of the delivery, cow won’t be forced to produce more milk. It will produce only the required amount for its calf.
- The period of Lord Krishna was different. The service to the cow like that of Krishna’s period cannot be given now. The quality of the cow during that period was different. Contemporary time and situation favor veganism. Had milk consumption been the better, concept of veganism wouldn’t have appeared.
However, some of the non-vegan says that veganism is a perfect way of life but to lead such life is not easy for all. There are some other logics regarding food. One needs to eat that kind of food to which the body is designed for. Food should not be the matter of religion, philosophy or ‘ism’ or philosophy. But harming other is ethically wrong, socially wrong and scientifically wrong.
Some think that there is no right or wrong way of eating, everyone is so different- cultures different, geography different, mentality different, the body’s different, due to medical reason, you may have to take various types of food. So, one must know the right food for him.
According to Sadaguru- Food is for the body, it goes through the human system, and has to become a part of a human system. It has to be unified with your body to become you. The food having a very complex sense of memory and information reduce the ability of the body to digest and make the food into own part. Animals, as they are having a complicated sense of memory, should not be eaten. You should never consume animal because it is very identical to you; its memory is complex which cannot be broken down 100%. In another part of it arrear, successively the animal’s traits develop through our system, and unwittingly and unknowingly this things display in expression. People get angry, stress, mindlessness etc. Among different factors, the food we are consuming is the main reason for this. If you eat plant product, a simple memory code or the genetic code, it is very ingenious. It means, in the evolutionary scale whatever is the farthest away from you that is what you need to eat. So, only the food with the simplest memory code is fit to consume. It is easy to break down and make a part of yourself. We can detect suitable food for us observing various parameter in the body- the length of the elementary channel, how things happen in the system etc. If you look inwards at all this vividly you can identify what the wants, and for what it is designed. You ought not to ask to doctor, a guru, or a nutritionist what you should eat and what you should not eat. You simply ask your body. What to eat- how to eat -how much to eat. You eat something, look how fast the food ruses out of your abdomen back into the intestine. If it is moving within 2.5 hours, if everything is passed out, that is suitable to eat. If it lingers on 4-6 hours or even more like that of meat- not good to eat.
An animal which shows emotion, similar with or close to human emotion, has certainly exalted memory. If such animals are consumed, that will not integrate itself and that animal nature start revealing in the nature of the consumer. Some animals are really great and worshipful by nature. If an elephant sees- a tiger hunting buffalo, elephant saves the buffalo. If you drown to sea, and if a dolphin finds you, it will take you out of the water. It shows that the animals have higher sense. If something wrong is going on with you or you have some suffering, cow knows it even if you are not near to it- the cow of especially your house, hear about your house starts tearing for you. It wishes for your good. So, if animals are killed, it is like a murder of a human.